If you are considering building a new website or upgrading an old one, then using WordPress is arguably the best Content Management System (CMS) that you can have.
There are many different programmes and methods for building websites and some of them are very good and some are best avoided but the number one way of building a website at this point in time is by using WordPress.
Why use WordPress
WordPress is in wide spread use throughout the world and from personal bloggers, small business and some of the biggest companies in the world and there are lots of great reasons for this. Here are a few:
- WordPress is free and open source software. You can use it as often as you like on as many different websites that you want.
- Simple to install, maintain and upgrade. Often it is only one or two clicks to do any of these tasks.
- There are no limits on the number of pages and posts that you can have on a website.
- Huge range of themes, both free and premium themes are available so you can choose the look you want or if you are so inclined, can design your own. With some knowledge, free and premium themes can usually be modified to get the look you want.
- Minimal technical knowledge is required to install, maintain and upgrade WordPress. You can literally be up and running in about 5 minutes with a WordPress website. WordPress is user friendly.
- W3C standards compliant which means that WordPress will run smoothly and meet most requirements.
- Spam protection. WordPress comes with very robust built in tools to manage and eliminate comment spam on your blog and website.
- WordPress has great extensibility with a huge range of plugins and themes that are available including spam protection.
- WordPress can force your users to register before making comments etc, great for helping build a mailing list and minimising spam or objectionable comments.
- Support. The WordPress community is very active in upgrading, improving and extending WordPress with unlimited support available by various forums.
- Google loves WordPress. “WordPress Takes Care of 80-90% of Search Engine Optimization” says Matt Cutts of Google. Wikipedia says this about Matt Cutts: Matt Cutts works for the Search Quality group in Google, specializing in search engine optimization issues. He is well known in the SEO community for enforcing the Google Webmaster Guidelines and cracking down on link spam. Cutts also advises the public on how to get better website visibility in Google.
Below is a video of Matt Cutts talking about WordPress. It is about 45 minutes long but worth a watch if you are considering building a website.
If you would like a new website then WordPress is the best way to go. You can choose to do this yourself and while it is true that it only takes about 5 minutes to install a WordPress website, it takes a lot longer and considerable knowledge and understanding to customise and optimise a website and this is where we can help you.